Friday, October 28, 2011

Friday's Feast ~ Lobster Mac & Cheese


Okay so I know that this sounds extravagant.  But.... I am originally from Massachusetts, and growing up, my dad was a commercial fisherman.  So, I grew up with as much seafood as I wanted... only problem was I DIDN"T like seafood! LOL

When I first met my husband, he was a POOR senior in college.  I was a senior in High School.  I know, it sounds terrible, but we fell in love... and heck we are still together and in love... 24 years, not too shabby!  One day, he rode his bicycle from Bristol, RI to my home in Westport, MA.  Honestly, I can no longer remember how long it took, something like 3 hours, but what I do remember is...

When he got to my house, he was starving! I opened up the fridge and looked at him in horror and said, all we have is cooked lobster! Literally, my dad had probably 10 or more lobsters just steamed and sitting in the fridge.

Andy, my husband was like are you kidding??????  I think he decided to marry me then and there! LOL

So, 24 years later, I am always trying to come up with new lobster recipes.  I saw on the Food Network once on Diners, Drive Ins and Dives a restaurant that served Lobster Mac & Cheese.  It was a little place in Salem, Ma and actually, my family went there and ate there this summer.  I had to "try" the mac and cheese to figure out how to make it.

Here is my version.  By the way, living in Wisconsin, fresh lobster is hard to find.  My mom regularly sends us fresh, shelled lobster frozen to keep us stocked up.  We just received two pounds! 


Ingredients
10 0z. Shred Cheddar
8 oz. Gruyere
2 1/2 cups milk
1/4 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, diced
3 T flour
1 lb pasta cooked and drained (I like the curly pasta)
lobster (cooked and chopped in large pieces)
1 T chopped tarragon
1/4 cup chopped chives
1/4 cup chopped basil
about 15 cherry tomatoes, quartered
panko bread crumbs
butter

Saute onions in about 1 T butter, cook for about 5 minutes and then add your garlic.  Add 2 more Tablespoons of butter, and then whisk in your flour.  Add the milk and continue to stir until mixture is smooth. When the mixture is almost boiling, slowly add the cheese by handfuls, making sure to stir in between each addition.  Turn the heat down heat.

Preheat oven to 400

Add the sauce to your pasta in a large bowl or pan,  add the lobster, tomatoes, herbs.  Pour into a buttered casserole dish.

Melt 2 T butter and mix with about 1 cup to 1 1/2 cups panko.  Sprinkle on top of casserole and bake for about 20 - 30 minutes until the top is golden.

Yumm!




No comments: